Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ron Paul Occupies The MN Caucus



This was the year I got involved. Three decades of voting and I had never been to a caucus. The rules seemed simple enough and the location was easy to find. The 4 candidates had their supporters. A person who caucused last time said they had 9 people turn out. This year, 47. A quick check of the crowd for Ron Paul/Occupy age voters and a hipster doofus factor presence and I knew this caucus was in trouble. Comrade hat, skull cap, overcoats, dyed hair and the self-satisfied stare of cultists.   Not really dressed to kill, maybe more like dressed to hijack the primary. Ron Paul- Time to PAC it up and MOVEON

I was eager to be heard, I was motivated and caffeinated and my bald head shone like tin foil in that room. I was for Newt Gingrich. (My previous blogs may explain why my anti-establishment vote was going to an "insider" Newt Gingrich. He's flawed, like a drunk priest that can still slay demons and perform an exorcism on the GOP) They were happy to let me say I was for Newt when it was my turn to stand up and speak. A young guy first spoke who said he was still a registered Democrat and that 2 years ago Ron Paul changed his whole thinking and he was there to vote for Paul.  I followed a nice older gentleman who gave a nice talk and a final pitch for Mitt Romney. I stated my name and my support for Newt. I explained that I used to consider myself a libertarian until I researched libertarianism and Ron Paul and his PAC. I was interrupted in my time to speak because I was criticizing Ron Paul. The unquestioning support of Ron Paul was on display. Two other speakers stand to speak not for Paul. One is interrupted, the second ignored.  No more platitudes for Paul from any supporters, we were ready to vote and get on to assigning delegates. Four of us are now "outed" in the group as being against Ron Paul.

The realization hit me when the tally came in for my group.  5 votes for Newt Gingrich, 6 for Romney, 12 for Santorum and 24 for Ron Paul. We were to vote for 5 delegates and 5 alternates. They were all going to be for Ron Paul. I came in last (12th) place in the delegate vote. Rick Santorum will have won the popular vote statewide, but the PaulBots stacked the delegate deck in my ward.  Left wing sabotage. Ron Paul Occupies Republican Primary.

#mncaucus #ronpaul #electionsabotage #republican #ows